What’s more economical, a boiler or a gas boiler.
If you choose a storage tank according to the needs of the family, then it will provide water for everyone.
You live in a house where hot water is constantly cut off or it was not originally provided? Agree that living in such conditions is very unpleasant. In this case, you need to buy and install additional equipment for water heating, which will save you from this problem. Today, the most popular are gas water heaters and electric water heaters.
Can not decide what is better a gas water heater or an electric water heater? We will help you to solve this problem. in the article the features of each of these types of equipment are considered, as well as a comparative overview of the important parameters that are crucial when choosing a water heater.
Basic types of water heaters
Devices for heating water can be divided into two large groups:
Accumulation ones are designed for a certain volume of water, which is heated. Flow-through allows you to heat the incoming water instantly, at the output you get hot water. The first include boilers (heating tanks), the second are columns. Boilers operate not only on natural gas, there are models for flow heating, which operate at the expense of electricity.
- Thermal (water is heated by a tubular electric heater), (contains a spiral with a continuously circulating heated coolant, supplied by the boiler or a solar collector).
Indirect water heater is the best option for cottages, heated from solar systems or single boiler.
Electric heating coil consists of two parts: an insulated tank and an electric tube heater (heating element). Tank water heaters are subdivided into two types: dry (heating element is not in contact with water) and wet (immersed in the coolant).
Pros and cons of different types of water heaters
When comparing the gas water heater with a heating storage boiler, it is worth taking into account various factors:
- the cost of the equipment;
- complexity of installation and installation costs
- convenience and safety of operation;
- Efficiency in terms of energy consumption and obtaining heat for heating water;
- The feasibility of installing this type of heater, taking into account individual factors (energy source for heating the house, the presence of central heating, seasonal shutdown).
When choosing a water heater, it is worth considering the volume of water consumption, intensity. For many, the key factor is safety. A certain role is also played by the need to put a water heater for many years. In this case, the longevity of the equipment is important. It is also worth considering the costs of the installation itself and comparing the costs of energy consumption. In some cases, to install expensive equipment will be more appropriate than later overpay for the consumption of resources. In other cases, the situation is exactly the opposite. Also important may be the design of the equipment, the possibility of installation in any room.
Electric storage water heater, as a rule, costs an order of magnitude cheaper than a gas-fired flow heater, if we consider the best quality options. The price of the gas water heater can vary depending on the presence of additional features: automatic ignition, the availability of a programmable module, etc.д. In addition, the installation of a gas water heater will cost much more. In addition to the need to engage a specialist, you will also need to prepare and coordinate a plan, register the work carried out at the local housing authority. Installation is not limited to the installation of basic equipment, in addition, you will have to:
- Make installation of stop valves on the gas pipe;
- Install a system of combustion products and smoke extraction LST;
- to make a gas water heater fitting.
Installation of an electric hot water boiler is much easier and cheaper. Also keep in mind that all types of equipment require annual technical inspection. Magnesium anode is changed in the hot water heater. In a gas water heater it is necessary to clean the heat exchanger from scale.
The safer option is considered an electric water heater. Tank water heater can be connected in any room, special permission or drawing up a plan is not required. The only thing to take care of is to reduce the risk of electric shock. To this end, the equipment is supplemented by a separate circuit breaker, grounding and RCD.
Gas water heater can be installed only in certain places, and it is necessary to take into account safety standards and standards for installation of appropriate equipment. It is necessary to provide additional accessories, as well as a quality ventilation system.
As for ease of operation, it all depends on the required amount of hot water consumed. Taking into account that hot water heaters are designed for different amounts of water (hence the cost is formed) you can install equipment with a tank of the desired volume. Flow-through water heaters do not impose restrictions on the amount of hot water consumed.
Boiler or hot water. which is more profitable and better?
Consider what is more profitable, the boiler or hot water from the tap.
The advantages of installing a water heater:
- High efficiency. Heating water once, it simply maintains it at a certain temperature level, and in standby mode consumes little electricity.
- Independent of seasonal disconnection of hot water. By installing a boiler, you become independent of utilities and you will be provided with DHW all year round.
- Savings in case of leaving home. Leaving, you turn off the water heater, and you do not need to pay neither for electricity nor for hot water.
- If you have a nightly electricity tariff it is better to put a boiler. You can save money by heating water at night.
- Dependence on electricity. If your house often turns off the electricity, then along with the light you will lose warm water.
- Long time of the first heating of water. If the volume of the device is 100 liters, then to start using it, you will have to wait 30-40 minutes.
In turn, the centralized hot water supply has a number of advantages:
- There is no limit on the volume of consumption. You can be sure there will be enough hot water for everyone.
- If you have a meter installed, you will only pay for the amount of liquid used.
- Annual shutdown for preventive maintenance. Once a year, in the summer for two to three weeks the water supply is turned off for repair work.
- You depend on failures in the system. If the pipes in the city system haven’t been changed for a long time, accidents are possible. They will be repaired by the utility, which has a clear timetable.
- High price per cubic meter of hot water. Gas is used to heat water, and since this is done on a large scale, there is a certain percentage of losses. What causes the high price per cubic meter of hot water.
In 2016, the of utilities have risen again, so the issue of saving is becoming more and more acute. Before making the final choice on how to provide DHW, be sure to find out the nightly electricity rate and calculate how much you spend on average to pay for hot water. It is also important to consider the cost of equipment and the time it will pay off.
Which boiler is more economical. electric or gas
Methane gas is the cheapest type of fuel. If you compare what is more profitable gas boiler or an electric water heater, and consider only the cost of energy can come to an obvious conclusion. A methane-fueled flow-through boiler is more economical. At the same time, a thoughtful consideration of this issue makes it clear that the benefits are not so obvious. To make the right decision, you should consider the principle of operation of the equipment.
According to the laws of physics, to heat the liquid will require the same power consumed by burning gas or Tubular Heater from electricity. But the heater and the electric storage heater work differently. Accordingly, the costs may be different:
The storage electric heater. the peak load is in the first 20 min. work. After heating the water to the desired temperature, the Tubular Heater is switched on for a short period of time, after 3-4 hours. Thanks to the thermal insulation the heat loss is minimized. The heating element maintains the desired temperature by expending a small amount of energy.The main advantage of electric water heaters over gas-fired instantaneous water heaters is that the cost of their use decreases depending on the increase in water consumption. Another advantage is that the hot water needs are satisfied instantly. Immediately after opening the tap, hot water is supplied.
For a large family of 4-5 people., It is more convenient to use an electric storage water heater, the difference in electricity costs compared to the gas equipment will not be so significant.
Indirect water heater or gas water heater: what to choose?
Both types of this equipment have a number of features, which include both advantages and disadvantages. If you do not know what to choose. a boiler indirect heating or a gas boiler, we hope that our article will help you decide. So, a gas boiler is one of the most common ways of autonomous DHW. It is a flow-through water heater, which heats the cold water from the water supply right “on the fly”. Thanks to this, the heating is carried out almost instantly, and the amount of hot water depends on the power of the column.
The gas water heater is compact, provides fast heating of water. However, it requires that the house is connected to the centralized gas and, preferably, water supply. In many respects, the efficiency of such equipment depends on the pressure of supplied cold water. Also, the installation of a gas boiler requires a chimney, at least coaxial (for turbine models). In some cases, it may cause certain inconveniences to the user.
As for the indirect heating boiler, it does not have a flow-through, and the accumulation principle, accumulating in its container of hot water heated by a separate heating boiler. Therefore, it is advisable to use this technique (boiler boiler) only in a set with each other. Some models of such water heaters have a built-in electric heating element, which maintains a high water temperature. The advantage and, at the same time, the disadvantage of this boiler is its bulkiness. it can store a large volume of liquid, but, at the same time, requires a lot of space for its placement.
So, indirect water heater or a gas boiler. which equipment will be more profitable? Column is designed exclusively for instantaneous DHW heating in a relatively small household volumes. In this case the house must have a stable, good pressure of gas and cold water. It has no reservoir, so in the case of disconnection of the cold water supply, you will remain without hot water, too. Gas water heater is ideal for apartments or houses with central heating, as well as a stable water and gas supply.
In turn, the boiler indirect heating is much more economical than a gas boiler, as it gets already heated boiler water and spends a minimum of energy to maintain its temperature. To heat water, it does not require a gas pipeline, the boiler can operate from electricity or completely independently (coal, wood, pellets). In addition, it stores hundreds of liters of liquid in its tank as a reserve, which is ideal for those cases where increased DHW consumption is required. Its disadvantages include the bulky size, as well as a very high cost of the set of heating boiler and indirect water heater (which, however, soon pays off).
What is the best gas water heater?
The main difference between gas storage and gas instantaneous water heaters is how they heat up and deliver hot water to the consumer. The equipment works in the following way: Column. heating is carried out by a flowing method Accumulation water heater. in this case, water heating is carried out continuously.
How does the boiler works?
Electric storage water heater operates on the principle of a thermos. Maintains a preset temperature of the water supply and periodically heats them.
A simple appliance consisting of a well insulated tank, a heating element (either recessed in a bulb or in direct contact with water) and a temperature sensor on the panel. The main thing here is to choose the appropriate volume:
- If you take a tank of up to 50 liters, you risk constantly suffering from lack of boiling water;
- If you buy a huge 150-200 liters water heater, you will overpay for electricity.
Flow-through models. the absolute opposite of the storage ones. Warms water instantly and in unlimited volume. But if you open the faucet in the bathroom and kitchen at the same time, you’re screwed. Water will not have time to warm up. The result will get a stream of room temperature.
Boiler advantages based on three criteria
“The pros of the electric water heater are obvious.
- Works quietly.
- No need to install ventilation.
- Able to provide boiling water to several outlets at once.
- Gives an efficiency up to 99.95%.
Let’s consider three components that affect usability and energy capacity: temperature mode, tank material, type of heating element.
Economical accumulator (Ariston, Bosch, Gorenje) consumes, on average, up to 1 kW per day when turned on. And if you consider the heating time, which depends on the volume of the tank and the power of the device, an interesting picture turns out. You do the math.
Let’s say you set the temperature to 65°C, which is optimal for preventing bacteria in the water. The table shows the average time period for which the device heats water.
With the flowmaker is easier. as long as the jet is flowing, the device consumes kW(s). Closed the mixer. stopped the report.
Any coating of the tank inside the water heaters is designed to repel limescale. But you can’t get rid of it, it’s going to accumulate. Therefore, the type of internal coating determines the degree of resistance to deposits. It also directly affects the cost of the product.
- Steel with a titanium coating is baked at 1200 ° C. Such a tank is very resistant to high temperatures. Water in it heats up faster than usual.
- Models with enamel coating are as durable as stainless steel. They transfer heat well, do not crack when heated, because the additives in the chemical. The enamels have bonding properties. “Metal stretches. and enamel along with it.
- With a glass-titanium or glass ceramic coating. elite appliances. They have an impressive warranty from the manufacturer. Glaze is baked in several layers, so it is extremely durable and pliable when metal expands. Water doesn’t get stale in these tanks.
Shade-loving plants for the garden: what flowers grow in the shade in the garden? Which shade-tolerant shrubs can be planted in the penumbra?