How to iron curtains by weight without an iron
First of all, it should be noted that ironing is a mandatory process for almost all types of curtains. Of course, you can buy curtains made of an unusually light material that will straighten on their own, but they are often very difficult to find and not everyone can afford to buy them. Most of us have regular curtains after all.
Here are some basic tips on how to straighten tulle after washing it in hot water.
- The iron‘s temperature when ironing is set according to the type of fabric.
- It is best to begin the process immediately after washing, if the automatic machine provides a strong spin. If the laundry was done by hand, give the fabric some time to dry. That means you should iron the curtains while they are still wet, without waiting for them to dry. That way the process will be easier. This tip particularly refers to curtains made of thick material.
- Delicate materials such as organza can only be ironed with a special backing made of cotton. Coloured fabrics and newspapers should not be used. The fact is that, because of the dyes in the composition, it can stain organza, leaving stains on it.
- When ironing tulle, it is better to forego the steam function.
- The seams of the curtains should be ironed from the front side, using gauze or other padding.
You can buy curtains made of different materials, from soft but heavy velvets to transparent organza. Each type of fabric requires a specific approach.
Flax and cotton. The fabrics are natural and can be pressed at high temperatures. The ironing mode usually fully corresponds to the marking on the iron. If the curtains are too wrinkled, use a steamer or wet gauze folded in a single layer over the curtains.
Velvet. Very capricious in care. After washing, cover the blinds with a towel or absorbent cloth, and wring out gently. Try not to wrinkle the fabric too much so it doesn’t crease. Velvets, unlike cotton and linen, should be completely dry. Then put a thick terry cloth under the curtain and start the ironing. Move along the nap direction and don’t press the iron hard. Do not use steam function.
Viscose and polyester. These fabrics are the gentlest when it comes to temperature. Iron on the wrong side of the fabric with an iron heated to 150°C. It is preferable to avoid exerting pressure on the front of polyester fabrics, even with handheld steamers and steam generators.
Organza and chiffon. Transparent curtains need a lot of care. To avoid damaging the material, hang it immediately after washing on a ledge. Gently smooth out all the folds with your hands. Usually it is enough to level the product. If creases are left behind, they can be easily ironed with a steamer and an iron.
Taffeta and silk. These tricky fabrics can only be ironed at low temperatures and on the wrong side. It is not advisable to wet the material, otherwise spots and stains will appear.
Curtains decorated with embroidery. Before you start ironing, spray the fabric with water. Begin on the inside. Don’t press down on the decoration with the soleplate of the iron.
Curtains with a lining. These garments have two faces. Each side must be ironed twice to create a neat appearance. The temperature can vary (depending on the type of fabric).
How to choose a steamer for curtains
How to iron the curtains without taking them off? A manual or floor steamer will help. Many people have long ago purchased this wonderful thing and have forgotten what it is like to use an iron. Evaporators are available with different power and temperature. interesting in this case will be manual or vertical devices.
How to choose the right type of ironing equipment, and do not make a mistake? What is necessary to pay increased attention to in the first place? Let’s try to figure it out. Numerous reviews of hostesses, who have already evaluated the work of steamers, claim that the device should also include several options, allowing to apply it to different types of fabrics and products.
We suggest reading What to make from old tulle for home and cottage
It is equally important when choosing a device to understand in advance what the word steamer means, how it functions, and what its essence is. At work it is such, that under the influence of a strong stream of steam you can see the effect, comparable on the principle of work with a traditional iron, but several times more convenient. The steam generator works in the steamer. Just this detail allows us to bring things in perfect condition, and to keep curtains and other textile accessories always on top.
Curtain steamer is able to smooth out the smallest creases
When choosing a steamer, you should pay attention to the following advantages:
- Treatment of any material;
- Cleaning of fabrics;
- Smoothing out the tiniest creases;
- Simultaneous removal of all kinds of stains;
- Disinfecting the material.
As we can see, the device can be completely multifunctional, and when choosing you need to find such a device that would do the job 100%.
The most common options for steamers are horizontal and vertical models. The last option is considered more popular because of its capabilities. It is possible to work with it even when the curtains are on the ledge.
over, it is worth remembering that this modern and practical kind of equipment can be not only floor or table, but also manual.
Choosing a steamer for curtains, pay attention to its technical specifications
Choosing the model you need depends on the following criteria:
Even the best floor steamer, in the ranking, ranks next to the upright device. And all because this device is more professional, and is suitable mainly for massive things or enterprises for sewing curtains. In addition, the lightweight version can easily be taken with you on a trip. 3
What to do if the tulle is big
A long or wide cloth is less practical in maintenance, but looks incredibly attractive in the interior. How to iron a tulle? For a quick treatment of a large surface, you can use one of the tips from experienced housewives:
- Put an ironing board to the window, spread the tulle on it with the upper part. Start ironing, gradually sliding the fabric down. When it overhangs to the floor, you need to hook the curtains to the ledge, then start ironing the remaining part. from the top down.
- You can replace the iron with a steamer, if the manufacturer allows this effect on the fabric. It is convenient from the point of view that the curtains can be cleaned from dust at the same time. Select a minimum temperature for the appliance, and work the vertically hanging fabric from top to bottom, pulling it slightly toward the floor.
- You can use the “granny” method. You’ll need a round stick, about a meter and a half long, and a wide board. The surface of the items should be smooth, without any protrusions or jagged edges. You should carefully wrap the cloth around the board, and start ironing. from the bottom edge, gently winding the ironed pieces on a stick. The fabric can be doubled or tripled in width and folds should be avoided. Once the process is complete, the curtains are hooked to the ledge and removed from the stick.
How to iron by weight
Most heavy fabrics can be steamed by weight without removing them from the curtain rod
This method relates more to general cleaning than to ironing products after washing. It will require a manual steamer or a special steam generator with a long hose.
And not all fabrics can be treated with this type of equipment or with hot steam. The main advantage of this approach is that the product is immediately antiseptic and clean.
The process of treatment is similar to ironing. First, read the care instructions for the garment, or decipher the sewn-in label. If this method is available, pour water into the steamer and set the temperature to the lowest setting possible for the fabric.
After heating the product can begin processing. Start from the top and downwards when ironing the curtain. When moving the curtain, it is advisable to pull it up slightly. When stretching, we must be careful not to damage the fabric, because delicate fabrics can pull or tear at the seams.
How to wash tulle without ironing?
Washed in a machine or by hand, curtains can be ironed in two optimal ways. Without ironing. Uneven the surface of the tulle itself made of cotton can also be done without an iron. it is enough to hang it on the ledge in a wet form, pre-pressing. The fabric is smoothed under its own weight and you do not have to iron the tulle.
For ironing curtains by weight the steamer is just right. Pour water into a container and turn on the heat. Wait 2-3 minutes for the water to heat up and steam to form. Slowly move the steam on the fabric a few times.
How to iron with the vertical steamer?
You do not have to wash your new drapes to get rid of that peculiar smell. Use a steamer to remove unpleasant odors.
A tulle that does not need to be ironed after washing
The fabrics that make the most unpretentious tulle are: kapron, linen, cotton and silk. They defrost perfectly under their own weight if you hang them on the curtain pole after washing. And if you wash them properly, you can probably save yourself a lot of hassle.
To do this you need to prepare a soapy solution based on washing powder. Check to make sure there is no residue that can ruin the web. Soak the curtain for a few minutes and wash it right away, otherwise kinks might form and the curtain will need to be ironed. Without wringing out allow the excess water to drain off and hang on the ledge.
Starching the tulle
Starching a tulle will give the curtain a rigid, stable shape and protect it from dirt. There are two ways to starve a curtain.
Rinse curtains in a salt solution. To do this, dissolve 2 tablespoons of table salt in a liter of water. Allow to dry flat.
Prepare starch paste (two tablespoons of starch per glass of water). Pour the starch with boiling water (0.5 L).) and knead to a clear, even consistency. Then dissolve in water and soak the product in this composition for 15-20 minutes. Then hang the curtains to remove the water and let them air dry in a fully straightened out position. Iron wet.
How to iron a velvet curtain?
Iron velvet curtains only as a last resort. Wet material is spread inside out and covered with a piece of natural fabric. The temperature of the iron should not exceed 100℃. The velvet is ironed by gentle movements in the direction of the nap, barely touching the surface of the fabric with the soleplate of the iron.
When steaming, you have to smooth the fabric slightly, giving it the shape you want, the rest the steam will do for you. When working with an iron in steamer mode it is necessary to remember about the precautions, as steam has a high temperature, and direct exposure to exposed skin areas may cause burns.
How to iron large tulle
Curtains in large sizes cause problems. one edge is smoothed out, the other is crumpled.
- One edge is placed on the board and the other is gradually pulled down towards the floor. When the edge touches the floor, it is hung on the curtain.
- The curtain is hung up on the curtain rod when it is still wet. as it dries it will expand under its own weight.
Perhaps the most common and widespread mistake is to choose the wrong temperature setting.
Even the cheapest iron has a few basic settings. The cloth often needs to be kept at a low temperature. However, a person thinks that this is not enough, thinking that temperature regimes are chosen “according to taste and color,” and puts the average mode. What is the result? The material is ruined.
Important! Start ironing curtains from a small area from the top down or backside out. Not in the middle of the material, as many people are used to.