Is it possible to install a refrigerator in an unheated room, in the cold
The question of whether the refrigerator can work in the cold, far from idle. A new unit is often acquired when his senior fellow is still quite operational and is able to last more than one year. The fate of the former “family wealth symbol” is usually determined. He moves to the cottage or finds himself on the balcony. And since the dimensions of the refrigerator are not the smallest, the thought involuntarily creeps up in the head, but whether to continue to work and further for the good of preserving products?
And the thought is quite sound, but only on condition of compliance with certain operating rules! Otherwise, the freezer machine will turn into a bulky closet very quickly, which will simply take up a place. And the rules unequivocally say that the ambient temperature at which the refrigerator should be operated is 6 35 ° C. It follows from this that it is impossible to turn on the mechanism on the balcony that is not glazed and not heated. The same is true for giving in the winter period. This is due to the technical features of the device of the refrigeration unit.
Is it possible to put a freezer on the balcony in winter
Not only the possibility of placing a freezer there, but also the effectiveness of its work, durability depends on the microclimate of the balcony. The balconies, of course, are all different, but in terms of landscaping and appropriate conditions, they can be divided into:
Balcony without glazing and insulation
An open balcony is sharp temperature changes in the off.Season, their low indicators in the winter, as well as the absence of barriers for precipitation and sunlight. All this is fraught with negative consequences:
- Drying out and deformation of the seals, which does not allow the door to close quite tightly.
- The risk of short circuit.
- Corrosion of metal parts of the device.
- Violation of the management of the control board.
- Yellowing, cracking and swelling of the decorative coating.
- Increased load on the compressor.
Corrosive process on the surface of the evaporator
Placing a freezer on an open balcony is strictly prohibited!
Glazed balcony without additional insulation
The presence of glazing on the balcony is a reliable protection of the household electrical appliance installed there from atmospheric phenomena. However, even the so-called “warm” structures (two-chamber double-glazed windows with a multi-chamber PVC profile) do not allow to equalize the temperature of the balcony and the adjacent room. It will only be not much higher than on the street. Are such conditions suitable for installing freezers in winter?
In most cases, the operating temperature inside it is –18 ° C. Automation is supposed to launch the device at a temperature of the surrounding air 2-3 degrees higher. That is, theoretically at –15 ° C, the freezer should function. But! When the device is turned on in such conditions, the compressor will experience colossal loads.
Refrigerator Isn’t Cooling — Refrigerator Troubleshooting
- Firstly, low temperatures contribute to thickening the oil on which it works.
- Secondly, at the stage of the freon exit from the capacitor, pressure drops. This will stop the circulation of the refrigerant and leads to the “idle” movement of the compressor. The result may be a quick breakdown of this part.
Note! If the freezer has turned off almost immediately after turning on, the temperature regime of operation was probably not observed.
Fridge is Warm but Freezer is Cold? DIY Repair
Another argument “against” the operation of the freezer on a glazed but not insulated balcony is sharp changes in night and day temperatures in the off.Season. For reliable and efficient operation of the device, the stability of the ambient temperature is important. Otherwise, you risk encountering such an undesirable phenomenon as condensation formation.
Glazed and insulated balcony
Glazed balcony with additional thermal insulation of walls, floor and ceiling is the only right option for installing a freezer in this room. In this case, the device is operated at a stable air temperature, almost equal to the values in living rooms. It also does not have a negative effect of precipitation.
It remains to take care of only high.Quality ventilation of the room that prevents overheating of the freezer, the formation of condensate, and about protecting the product from sunlight. To solve the first question, install the window or wall supply valve, air conditioning. Curtains will help solve the second problem.
However, an important moment, even in the presence of a suitable microclimate in the room, is the correct selection of the freezer and its installation.
What else needs to be remembered
If the refrigerator is forced to be stored in the cold in the winter, and the winter temperature in the home region does not knowingly fit into the temperature regime of the device, then this is a serious risk of losing the possibility of warranty repair.
If the device is still under warranty, then you can not count on free repairs. The specialists of the service center will immediately determine the reason for the breakdown of the device due to incorrect conditions of its operation.
Summarizing all of the above, you can answer that you can store the refrigerator in the cold, but it is better not to do this, since such an appeal reduces its service life. However, with a special need to leave the device for the winter in an unheated room, you only need to fulfill some storage rules and carefully monitor the performance of the device.
Is it possible to turn on at a minus temperature
The rules of operation of the household appliance provide that the refrigerator can operate at a minimum mark of 5ºC. Installation with violation of requirements entails cancellation of the warranty period. It is forbidden to operate the refrigerator on unhealthy balcony or loggia due to increased humidity.
The negative temperature affects the functioning of the thermostat, the principle of operation of which is to adjust the cooling. When the cold reaches the device, the circuit opens, heat accumulates, and the compressor turns on.
This situation does not allow you to use the installation for freezing. The aggregates of the old.Style, the action of which is based on the use of refrigerants R12 and R22, require the use of mineral or semi.Synthetic oil. This material is characterized by a change in consistency at a temperature of 5ºC.
The launch of the compressor under this condition is complicated, the technique requires more efforts to rotate the shaft, the current increases, the relay is triggered. In new models of household appliances, the R134 refrigerant is used, which is compatible with the oils of a special composition.
If you managed to start the equipment in the cold, then the Freon that gathered in the condenser may not circulate through the system due to the lack of optimal pressure. The old.Style models in this situation can adjust the vacuum, and when the required level is achieved, the cooling process is launched. A modern refrigerator working in an unheated room can react with the inclusion of a protective relay.
Low temperature affects the operation of the evaporator, there is a “wet move”, in which a steam.Rich steam is entered into the compressor. This situation causes a hydraulic blow, as a result of which the mechanisms of the internal part of the compressor are destroyed.
If the refrigerator operates at a temperature below the established norm, then this leads to a violation of technical parameters. In the cold, rubber of the seal loses flexibility, which leads to destruction.
Installations operating on the principle of dry freezing are difficult to thaw in the cold, which leads to the formation of ice sags on the evaporator. In accordance with safety requirements, it is not recommended to operate equipment at low temperatures, which are accompanied by high humidity.
Basic rules for the operation of the freezer
According to the technical documentation, the freezer is impossible:
- Transport in working position;
- Subject strong loads;
- Place next to a gas or electric stove, a heating device;
- Keep next to direct sunlight;
- Keep in a poorly ventilated room;
- Use outdoor air;
- Connect to a socket without grounding;
- Connect without knowledge of the instructions.
Also, the freezer should be used only as intended. In addition, it is not recommended to open the camera door often for precautions.
Operation temperature of the freezer
The operation temperature of a particular freezer is indicated in the technical documentation. As a rule, this can be done at a temperature of 15 to 30 degrees. However, there are frost.Resistant special models that can be put in the garage and operate at temperatures before.15 degrees.
Storage of a turned off refrigerator
The cold has a significant impact on the refrigerator, as well as on all household electronic devices. As a result of the exposure to low temperatures on components, a significant load is created, the properties of many materials are lost (for example, rubber from the seal or paintwork), as a result of which different destructive processes begin, significantly accelerating the wear of the technique. About what can threaten, and how to avoid this, is in the material further.
Impact on details
At minus temperature with the most important elements of the refrigerator (in the on and off state), the following processes occur.
- The thermostat in the off state is practically not affected by temperatures. In working condition, it should apply to the compressor signals for turning on and off, as soon as the temperature inside the refrigerator reaches 5 ° C (or another value set by the user). Thus, in the cold, thermorelele simply does not give the compressor the command for launch, and the refrigerator will not work.
- Butter. Various types of oils behave differently in the cold, but over time, each of them thickens if you keep the device in the cold for a long time.
- Freon. If the refrigerator is turned off, then nothing happens to the gas. But if you turn on the equipment, then with a high probability Freon will not be able to get out of the capacitor, because the pressure drops in the pipes in the cold.
- The evaporator in the cold freezes and is covered with ice. This negatively affects the work of technology, especially on refrigerators with the No Frost system.
- Seal. Rubber is not designed for low temperature ranges, so it cracks and becomes more rigid in the cold.
- Boards and conductors. Moisture formed at low temperatures has a negative effect on electronic components. It leads to corrosion and failure of these elements. In some cases, a short circuit takes place, leading to the burnout of the nodes.
- The protective coating and paint are destroyed at low temperatures, which is why the refrigerator rusts.
If the storage conditions of the disconnected device are not possible, and the owner of the equipment is forced to leave the refrigerator or the freezer to winter in an unheated room, it is necessary to perform a number of simple actions in order to prevent the exit of the unit out of order. First you should read the instructions to find out at what temperature it is permissible to operate a specific model.
Important! If in the user manual information about the permissible temperature regime could not be found, then it is necessary to disconnect the refrigerator from the network as soon as the room becomes colder than 5 ° C. Work at lower temperature values will lead to a significant wear of the device.
First of all, it is necessary to extract products from the refrigerator, wash it and prepare for storage. Then you need to transport the device to a place where the rays of the sun and precipitation will not fall on it. And so that condensation does not fall on the unit, it is necessary to cover it with a dense fabric or film. During storage of the refrigerator in an unheated room, it should not be touched: move, open the doors (possibly damage to the seal), include in the network. So, observing these simple recommendations, you can provide optimal storage conditions for the device in an unfavorable environment.
Operation after exposure to low temperatures
After storing in a cold room for a long time, the refrigerator must be prepared for operation. Firstly, the equipment must be thoroughly dried before turning on, since moisture inside the device can lead to a short circuit. Secondly, the unit should be heated qualitatively. To do this, you need to transfer it to a room with a temperature above 10 ° C and leave for several hours, or better for a day.
Important! And only after the device is dried and warm, it can be examined for external damage. If there are no visible defects, the refrigerator is included in the network.
Possible problems after wintering
The user needs to take into account that after storing equipment under the inappropriate conditions, some nodes may fail. So, if the refrigerator is used at higher or low temperatures than the manufacturer’s recommendations are allowed, first of all, a significant load on the compressor is created, which quickly breaks. If this node fails, the refrigerator begins to constantly work, but not freeze. The second option is possible. The device will turn on and immediately turn off.
If the device turns on and immediately turns off, or freezes only one of the two departments, this indicates the failure of the control unit. This situation can happen if the equipment works or is in a room with high humidity. In this case, contacts are oxidized, and a short circuit can also occur.
When moisture enters the place where the temperature sensor is installed, this node may break. Such a malfunction is evidenced by a number of symptoms: the technique does not turn on or does not turn off, in one of the cameras or at once in both too high or low temperatures. The breakdown can also report the code on the screen or flashing the corresponding indicator.
With the formation of condensate, the sensor of the latch may break. This will notify the warning signal and error code, ice in the freezer of the device with a self.Reproach system, as well as a number of other signs.
Another popular malfunction, characteristic of refrigerators, wintering or working at low temperatures, is a dry seal. It deteriorates due to moisture or straight rays of the sun.
How to store a refrigerator in an unheated room
There are situations in which the necessary conditions are simply impossible to create for an electrical appliance. It can be refrigerators in summer houses where no one lives in winter. Lack of space in the apartment, when you have to put the refrigerator on loggias or balconies.
Therefore, if you do not avoid such a situation, you need to reduce the negative effect as much as possible:
- Instructions. Few people like to read such books, but it is there that information about the correct operation and storage of your refrigerator model is contained. If the instructions were lost, it can be freely found on the Internet.
- If the manufacturer did not indicate the lower temperature limit, it is advisable to turn off the device as soon as the temperature on the street drops below 5 0 s. Work at lower temperatures leads to premature wear.
- You need to get food from the turned off the refrigerator, and rinse and wipe the camera dry. The use of the refrigerator in winter instead of the cabinet will lead to the wear of the seal.
Important: “You can not store the refrigerator under direct sunlight and in open areas under the snow and rain”.
Observing these simple rules, you can significantly extend the life of the refrigerator even in the most unfavorable conditions.
In the use of the refrigerator in such extreme conditions, you can listen to some advice of masters from the SC who will help him cope with difficulties:
- An ideal solution to the problem will be heated the room. Relevant for glazed and heat.Insulated balconies or summer cottages. Then the refrigerator will work in the conditions familiar to him, but you will have to pay a round amount for heating and risk the occurrence of a fire, if you need to leave the cottage for a while.
- Local heating of the compressor and capacitor levels the problem with the launch. It is necessary during a short time, after which the motor will heat itself. The hosts use heating elements, heat.Tents, “warm rugs” for animals from pet stores for this. There is a scope for imagination, but, again, do not forget about TB.
- Pay attention to the insulation of the conductors. If they are old and cracked, it is worth replacing them.
- From the above. It is optimal to use Soviet refrigerators. You will not lose guarantees, because it has long been gone for a long time, and the unit itself will be more persistent to harsh winter.
You do all such actions at your own peril and risk.
Recommendations of specialists
If it is impossible not to use the refrigerator in extreme conditions for technology, then you should listen to the advice of the masters.
- The perfect way out of the situation is the heating of the room. Units will work in the usual conditions, but the owners will have to lay out considerable amounts for heating.
- High and risk of fire when leaving the cottage unattended. The launch of the device with local heating of the compressor is facilitated for a short time. Further, the motor will be able to heat itself.
- To solve the problem, you can use the thermal talent or a “warm rug” for animals purchased in a pet store. Do not forget about safety precautions.
- The isolation, replacement of the contracted and old conductors is mandatory.
Operating at minus temperature is better old models, Soviet. The devices have already lost the guarantee, and the units themselves are more adapted to harsh winters. But the owners take such decisions at their own peril and risk.
For household refrigerators, manufacturers do not provide for operation at minus temperatures. The device will be able to work, but its use period will be significantly reduced, and safety precautions will be violated.